Mar

9 Comments

Do you know what a bunk is?

I recently heard a term that was used in the same sentence as paper. I believe I had heard this term before and I realized it was a term describing measurement of paper.

This term was a “ream”.

Now I don’t want to appear to be to uneducated, but the term “ream” and ” paper” have never crossed my path in the same sentence. Well, if you think for a moment, the guy on that TV program…. Duck Dynasty doesn’t  do to bad. I wonder does he know what a ream is?

I looked this term up on this cool dictionary app on my phone and here is what it says, “A standard quantity of paper, consisting of 500 sheets”. Now you have no excuse!

This new term has got me thinking about terms describing units of measure. I use several of these very often.

I have been in the lumber business for a long time and the first time I heard the word “bunk” I could only think of Archie Bunker, who after listening to Edith make a statement would say “now that’s a load of bunk”. Now I really don’t know if Archie said that but it fits and I know I heard it somewhere. OK on with the conversation…

What is a bunk? A bunk is a term used to describe a full unit of lumber. Each size of lumber has a different quantity.

For example, 2×4 s have 294 pcs, 2×6 s have 189 pcs, 2×8 s have 147 pcs (unless you are purchasing yellow pine and then they have 96 pcs), 2×10 YP have 80 pcs and finally 2×12 YP have 64 pcs.

What are some other units of measure used in your business? Some unused word, only used in the conversation between people of the same industry.  Feel free to share yours.

My point here is, we all have something we do. We all have some sort of information in our heads that probably only pertains to what we do.

Here is what I do, I buy the best “bunks” of lumber I can find.

Our customers can rest assured that we’re committed to providing them with the best “bunks” of lumber in the area.

Let us show you!

Now that’s not a load of bunk!

9 Responses to “Do you know what a bunk is?”

1. Dan 9 November 2017 at 3:32 pm Permalink

I worked for years at 84 lumber, reading this article sure brings back good memories.

2. Paul 11 October 2017 at 1:47 pm Permalink

How many pieces are in a bunk of 4x6x16?

3. اغاني 29 August 2017 at 9:35 pm Permalink

Hi,I log on to your blog named “Do you know what a bunk is? | Ohio Lumber” regularly.Your writing style is awesome, keep up the good work! And you can look our website about اغاني.

4. KashaX 22 June 2017 at 4:25 pm Permalink

I must say you have high quality articles here. Your posts can go
    viral. You need initial traffic only. How to get massive
    traffic? Search for; Murgrabia’s tools go viral

5. Kevin Monette 20 April 2017 at 12:29 pm Permalink

In the lumber world, a bunk is the same as a unit. In the NE they also call them “hacks”.

As far as units (or bunks) of 1″ boards, this is typical:
    1×4 – 416
    1×6 – 256
    1×8 – 192
    1×10 – 160
    1×12 – 128

In lumber, it can very by specie and whether or not it is green or dry. The units listed below are typical however there are a few mills that use other unit sizes as well such as 392 for 2×4.

2×4 208 or 294
    2×6 128 or 189
    2×8 96 or 126/147
    2×10 80 or 105
    2×12 64 or 84

Kevin Monette – Idaho Pacific Lumber Co.

6. Michael Makar 3 March 2017 at 2:36 pm Permalink

I’ve always thought that a bunk describes how many pieces of lumber, as viewed from the end cut, fit in a four foot square space. This measure is akin to the way one would measure a cord of firewood.

7. Christian 15 July 2016 at 7:20 am Permalink

Hi,
    thanks a lot – I wasn’t able to find the Information elswhere.
    is there also a Guideline on how many pieces of 1×4 1×6 1×8 are in one full unit of lumber?

Thanks a lot
    Christian

8. Zenia Krasnansky 4 March 2016 at 9:51 am Permalink

I’ve been looking online quite four hrs nowadays, but under no circumstances discovered any attention-grabbing short article like the one you have. It really is beautiful worth ample in my opinion. In my opinion, if all of web owners and bloggers produced very good material items you did, cyberspace is going to be much more valuable than everbefore.I’m going to book mark this article !! Will really go through once more !! Thanks on your valuable details.

9. example my ass 9 February 2016 at 9:53 pm Permalink

I was planning on starting the guide with wordpress..